My mom always had a handful of recipes that we LOVED her to make while growing up. She often chose the easy ones that we didn’t like as much rather than the super tasty ones… But now that I’m older I can appreciate choosing the simple filling meals that make a lot of food easily over the meals that take more time and preparation. This meal is not as quick and simple as a lot of the others we enjoy making, but DANG is it worth the extra effort!!
- 1/4 c flour
- 2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1 T. + 2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- dash of nutmeg
- 3 lbs. chicken pieces
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can mushrooms (don’t drain)
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c water
- 1 c sour cream
- Mix together flour and spices in ziploc bag. Add chicken and shake to coat.
- Oil pan and brown chicken slowly.
- Add soup, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, and water. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Stir sour cream into pan and heat through.
- Serve over mashed potatoes*.
*also good on noodles if you are looker for something a little lighter
I love soup all the time. But it is just exceptional in the fall… As the air cools and you get to pull out your cute sweaters and scarves. Yes! I miss the fall. In AZ we have our own seasons. When the rest of the U.S. is experiencing spring and early summer we are enjoying “Hot as Hades” season. When everyone else is trudging through their summer we are blessed with the pretty yet still extremely HOT monsoon season. When everyone else is enjoying the beautiful fall we have STILL HOT, but if you’re lucky “cooler nights” season. When you’re all crying through the piles of snow on your car and driveway we’re enjoying the refreshing 60 degree weather of “winter”. If I only ate soup when it was nice and cold outside I would get to eat it in January! As much as I enjoy sweating through a bowl of soup on a 100 degree day, I will always be left dreaming of heating up with a bowl of soup on a cold, crisp day…
Creamy Slow Cooker Potato Chowder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound small fresh creamer potatoes, cut in half (We like these ones!)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 (7-8-ounce) package ham steak, diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup Mexican Crema
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 slices thick sliced Bacon, cooked and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- green onions, sliced thinly
- sour cream
- Add chicken stock, potatoes, onion, garlic, corn, thyme, and ham to your slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours or high 3-4 until potatoes are tender.
- About 30 minutes before it is done, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbly. Slowly add Mexican Crema and milk. The mixture should be thick. Add cream mixture to the soup and stir until well blended.
- Prepare the bacon – we usually just throw it in the microwave for a few minutes until cooked through then chop it up with scissors – and add to the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste and continue to cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with toppings. Enjoy!