We ate a lot of this while in Italy… like almost everyday, in fact twice one day.
While I can’t say the recipe is from Italy, it sure turned out smooth and creamy!
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Milk
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, mix milk and cream. Warm until foam forms around the edges. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until frothy. Gradually pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture gels slightly and coats the back of the spoon. If small egg lumps begin to show, remove from heat immediately.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve or fine strainer into a bowl. Cover, and chill for several hours or overnight.
- For the Chocolate sauce, pour the cocoa powder and sugar in a food processor, process until sugar is fine and they are combined. Add milk and vanilla, blend some more.
- Pour the base and the chocolate mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. *Transfer to a sealed container, and freeze until firm. If the gelato is too firm, place it in the refrigerator until it reaches the desired consistency.
*You can also add toasted almonds, chop, toast and cool, then add when the gelato is almost done freezing!
Modified from: allRecipes
||One Pan Baby Back Ribs
||Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Creamy Cucumber Salad
||Cook’s Country Magazine
||Good and Cheap Cookbook
||Eat Out Date Night!
||Black Bean Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries
||Star Wars Waffles, Hash Browns and grilled veggies**
|| cooking classy
**we like to grill up onions, zucchini, and mushrooms with a little butter and salt and pepper as a “breakfast veggie”
This recipe is easily favorite comfort food. Right on up with there with mashed potatoes… Mmm nnmmm mmm. I LOVE macaroni and cheese. I like the ones that are baked with a little crumble on top as much as the next girl, but there’s something about this simple creamy sauce that gets me every time. SO stinkin good. Dang. I’m making this. Like, right now. It sounds SO GOOD.
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Melt butter in saucepan over med-low heat.
Add onion and cook until soft and light-brown color. Stir in flour, cook & stir for 1 minute or until bubbly.
Pour in milk, stir in then turn up heat to med-high.
Cook and stir for a few minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
Turn heat down to low, stir in cheese and spices until cheese is melted.
Stir in cooked macaroni until well blended. Serve warm.
**You can also add other cheeses like parmesan or 1/2 cup jalapeno cheddar cheese (gives just a bit of bite). If it gets too thick, stir in a bit of milk
**It’s also delicious to use half-and-half for half of the the amount of milk called for.
***AMAZING flavor combo: Ricotta, cheddar, swiss, monterey jack… YUM.
source: Barbara Bird and Lisa Hawks