These are the best Whole Grain Pancakes Ever!!!
Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
- 4 c white whole wheat flour
- 1 c unbleached all-purpose flour OR gluten-free all-purpose flour OR corn masa
- 3 1/2 c old-fashioned or rolled oats
- 3 T sugar
- 3 T baking powder
- 1 T salt
- 1 T baking soda
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 c. buttermilk OR a combination of plain yogurt and milk
- 1 large egg
- To make the mix: Grind the oats in a food processor until they’re chopped fine, but not a powder.
- Put the flour, oats, and all other dry ingredients into a mixer with a paddle. Mix on slow speed. Store in an airtight container indefinitely.
- To make the pancakes: Whisk together 1 cup of mix, 1 T. oil, 1 cup of buttermilk, and 1 large egg. Don’t worry if it seems thin at first: the oats will soak up the milk, and the mix will thicken a bit as it stands.
- Let the batter stand for at least 20 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle to 350°F (if you’ve got a griddle with a temperature setting; if not, medium-hot will do).
- Drop the batter onto it in 1/4-cupfuls (a jumbo cookie scoop works well here) to make a 4″ diameter pancake. If you have English muffin rings, use them; they make a perfectly round, evenly thick pancake.
- When the edges look dry and bubbles come to the surface without breaking (after about 2 minutes, if your griddle is the correct temperature), turn the pancake over to finish cooking on the second side, which will take about 2 minutes.
- Serve pancakes immediately, or stack and hold in a warm oven.
Adapted from King Arthur Flour
I. Love. Chipotle. I believe I have shared this on here before. It is just SO fantastic. It’s delicious and it’s fairly healthy so you just FEEL good when you’re done eating. Unless you go for their burrito’s of course, which are just freakishly fatty. I personally get the burrito bowl every time. I have recently discovered that I am not the only one who loves this dish because I have stumbled upon several different recipes now. And tonight I made a bowl. And it was PHENOMENAL. I could have eaten 2. Or 3. If my first bowl wasn’t as large as my stomach… Anyway. I will be making this recipe again. For definite. And you should too.
Chipotle Style Barbacoa Burrito Bowl
- Cilantro Lime Rice (recipe to follow)
- Garlic Black Beans (recipe to follow)
- Barbacoa Beef (this needs to cook in the crockpot for several hours but requires minimal work)
- Corn Pico De Gallo (recipe to follow)
- Lettuce, chopped
- Avocado, chopped
- Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- Chipotle Cream Sauce (recipe to follow)
- optional: green onions, olives, hot sauce, salsa
- Layer ingredients in bowl as you wish. I prefer rice, beans, meat, cheese, veggies, sauce.
CILANTRO LIME RICE
- 1 c. brown rice
- 2 c. water
- 1/2-1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1/2-1 tsp. coarse salt
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/2 a small onion, chopped
- 1-2 T. oil
- Place the rice in a pot and cover with water. Soak for 5 minutes then drain, rinsing until the water runs clear. Add 2 cups of water. Bring water to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, place the jalapeno, 1/4 cup water, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and salt in a food processor and process until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes, until slightly softened. Once rice is done cooking add the onion and jalapeno mixture, cover and cook another 10-15 minutes, until the rice is tender. Turn off the heat but keep the pan covered and let it rest for 5 more minutes. Fluff the rice and serve.
GARLIC BLACK BEANS
- 1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 T. oil
- In a medium pan, heat oil and add onion. Saute onion until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add beans, salt, bay leaves, and water to pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
CORN PICO DE GALLO
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2-1 jalapeno, chopped (depends on how hot you want it)
- 1/4 c frozen corn
- large handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 an avocado, chopped
- 1/2 a lime, juiced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Throw all ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine.
CHIPOTLE CREAM SAUCE
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (depends on how hot you like it)
- 1-2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 a lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or more, to taste
- Throw ingredients in a blender or mix by hand until creamy and smooth.
So my husband and I LOVE burgers. Like seriously. It is one of our great loves. And my husband really hates getting food at restaurants when he feels like he can make something better at home for a quarter of the price. Burgers definitely fall into that category for him. Although I sometimes wonder why he feels that way because I have had some dang good burgers at restaurants. I mean… Red Robin? YUM. Zinburger? DELISH. Whatever. My husband does make fairly tasty burgers… MOST of the time. Sometimes he experiments and I just wonder WHY. But, like I said, USUALLY they are extremely tasty. And the other day he made a fantastic burger that both of us were practically drooling over as we gulped them down. So we need a place to keep this burger recipe that according to my husband is almost as good as making out… ALMOST. 🙂
Super Duper Tasty Burgers
- 1/2 Onion, Sliced
- 6-8 Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 T. Butter
- 2 T. White Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/2 lb. Ground Beef
- 3 T. Bread Crumbs
- 3 T. diced Onion
- 1 T. Worchestershire
- 1 T. A1 Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 14 tsp. Cayenne
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dijon Mustard
- BBQ Sauce (Sweet Baby Rays is THE BEST)
- A1 Sauce
- Ciabatta Roll
- Lettuce, chopped
- Pickles, sliced
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Cook bacon through, set aside.
- Slice mushrooms and onions, add to pan with butter. Saute until onions and mushrooms begin to soften. Add vinegar and cook until onions are translucent, set aside.
- Mix burger ingredients. Form 1 inch thick patty. Cook approximately 4-5 minutes per side.
- Mix mayo, mustard, BBQ Sauce, and A1, set aside.
- Spread dressing on Ciabatta Roll. Place Patty’s, bacon, grilled veggies, and toppings on burger. Eat warm, enjoy!
Toffee is a LeBaron Christmas tradition for as long as I can remember. This year I got the recipe from my mother so that we can make it ourselves! There is a lot of butter in this recipe. And sugar. In other words, it is hard to stop eating, so make sure you share it with others!
- 1 lb. Butter
- 1/4 c. light corn syrup
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 c. Chocolate Chips (3/4 Milk, the rest semi-sweet or bittersweet)
- 2 c. Pecans
- 1/2 c. ground Walnuts
- Coat a baking sheet in butter by rubbing it with one of the cubes of butter, just until all surfaces are greased.
- Toss pecans on baking sheet and spread out to make a single layer, set pan aside for later.
- Coat inside of heavy-bottomed pan with butter by rubbing it with butter until all surfaces are greased.
- Set the pan to medium-high and melt the butter.
- Add the sugar, corn syrup and water; with a wooden spoon stir carefully so as not to spread sugar crystals on the side of the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Continue to stir the toffee while it boils. If you remove the spoon at any time, wash it thoroughly in hot water before returning it to the pan. This helps keep the candy from crystallizing.
- Cook and stir until the toffee is the color of a brown paper lunch bag, or light brown sugar.
- Immediately pour the toffee evenly over the pecans in the baking sheet, do not scrape the sides of the pan. Fill the pan with hot water and let sit to facilitate cleaning.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top of the toffee, set another baking sheet on top and let sit for ~5 minutes.
- Once the chocolate is melted, use a spatula to spread it evenly across all the toffee.
- Sprinkle the ground walnuts on top and let cool.
- When cool break apart and share with friends!