I seriously LOVE breakfast sandwiches. I would eat one everyday if I could find a way to make them healthy yet still fantastically delicious. Which sometimes you can, but they do tend to take more time and effort to make. I’m sure there’s a very clever way to make them in advance and store them in freezer but ahhh… I’m not one of those people who actually plans that far ahead. Maybe someday I’ll give it a try! Let’s me honest though, an unhealthy little sandwich full of cheese and bacon or sausage and a crispy yet gooey fried egg on a fresh bagel… Yeah. Can’t beat that. Mmmm… Salivating. This morning however, I decided to mix things up a bit. After some online research I felt pretty confident in my ability to make a truly stellar breakfast sandwich that is at least a bit healthier and doesn’t take an especially long time to make. I have an 11 month old. I don’t have time to make and eat things that take more than 10 minutes to do both. I just don’t. And man. I moaned on my first bite and almost didn’t get a picture because I ate it so fast… Not because I HAD to, I WANTED to. It turned out THAT GOOD.
Veggie-full Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. cream
- dash olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- cheese of choice, I used Feta
- vegetables of choice, I used:
- 1 small mushroom, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. leek, sliced
- 1-2 tsp. spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 1 clove roasted garlic, optional
- 2-3 slices of tomato
- 2-4 slices of avocado
- hot sauce, to taste
- Whip the egg in a small microwave safe bowl. Add cream, oil or butter, and salt and pepper. Whip once again.
- Add in the cheese and vegetables, stir to combine. Place in microwave for 90 seconds.
- While preparing the egg, toast the bread. Spread butter and garlic clove on bread. Add tomato and avocado slices to bread. Top with egg and some hot sauce. Enjoy!