|Monday||BBQ: Hamburgers, hot dogs, fresh fruit, and pasta salad||Russ, Lisa|
|Tuesday||Bang Bang Chicken and Rice with Grilled Veggies||Dang Delicious|
|Wednesday||Street Tacos and Roasted Corn Pico de Gallo||The Live in Kitchen, Bev Cooks|
|Thursday||Ham and Lentil Soup with Rolls and Salad||Drick’s Rambling Cafe|
|Friday||Creamy Pesto Chicken and Pasta with Salad||Creme de la Crumb|
|Saturday||Chicken and Sweet Corn Tamales and Chili Lime Garlic grilled Shrimp||Little Leopard Book,Shrimp|
|Sunday||Simple Sesame Noodles and Sautéed Veggies||The Pioneer Woman|
|Monday||BBQ Chicken, Corn on the cob and Mashed Potatoes||Russ|
|Tuesday||Shepherds Pie(Tomato soup style)||Mich|
|Wednesday||White Wine Marinated Mahi Mahi||E-Meals|
|Thursday||Lithuanian Cabbage Soup||Lisa|
|Saturday||Taquitos, Betty’s Salsa and beets||Betty|
|Sunday||Chicken Curry with Peas and Potatoes, Rice and Naan||Babble, Naan|
The very first time my mom made this recipe I was in 5th grade. I was having a birthday/slumber party and my dad decided to entertain us by telling us scary stories. I love them, he’s a phenomenal story teller, it was a great idea. As he got to the creepiest part of the story he imitated the phone ringing “brrrrrrrrring! brrrrrrrrrring!” and suddenly, our phone began to ring. That exact moment. We, being a handful of middle school girls, screamed. Our little heads off. It scared the daylights out of us. As we were screaming my mothers cackle glided to us from the kitchen. Turns out she could hear my dad telling us a scary story that she knew had a part where the phone rang, so she called our house right as he got to that part of the story. She thoroughly enjoyed the terror she invoked. But, to apologize for her moment of glee, she brought us glasses filled with some of the best lemonade I have ever had. We forgave her. She brought us more. It was a good party. And here is the recipe I always wanted to have but never got around to asking for. Yum.
Creamy Lemon Fizzy Drink
- 3 medium lemons
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 4 ½ cups chilled club soda
- 3 to 5 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Additional sugar
- Remove ends from lemons and discard. Remove lemon peel with a knife; set aside.
- Quarter lemons; squeeze juice into a bowl. Remove and discard white membrane. Place the peel and pulp in a blender; cover and process until coarsely chopped.
- Add peel mixture and sugar to lemon juice, mix well. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the milk. Strain lemon mixture; add club soda and food coloring. Serve immediately in sugar-rimmed glasses.
This recipe is a bit luscious, but also a bit healthy because of the veggies that are in it. It’s a good one for the Summer time and all of the barbecues you get invited to. It’s especially good topped with chopped honey-roasted peanuts.
Hawks’ Cole Slaw
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded (or one bag of pre-cut cole slaw mix)
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally into 1/4″ slices
- 1 red pepper, slivered full length as thin as you can cut, then cut in half so they are 2” x 1/8th”
- 4 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/4″ slices
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro or Italian Parsley
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- Mix all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together then stir it into the salad ingredients right before serving.