The very first time my mom made this recipe I was in 5th grade. I was having a birthday/slumber party and my dad decided to entertain us by telling us scary stories. I love them, he’s a phenomenal story teller, it was a great idea. As he got to the creepiest part of the story he imitated the phone ringing “brrrrrrrrring! brrrrrrrrrring!” and suddenly, our phone began to ring. That exact moment. We, being a handful of middle school girls, screamed. Our little heads off. It scared the daylights out of us. As we were screaming my mothers cackle glided to us from the kitchen. Turns out she could hear my dad telling us a scary story that she knew had a part where the phone rang, so she called our house right as he got to that part of the story. She thoroughly enjoyed the terror she invoked. But, to apologize for her moment of glee, she brought us glasses filled with some of the best lemonade I have ever had. We forgave her. She brought us more. It was a good party. And here is the recipe I always wanted to have but never got around to asking for. Yum.
Creamy Lemon Fizzy Drink
- 3 medium lemons
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 4 ½ cups chilled club soda
- 3 to 5 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Additional sugar
- Remove ends from lemons and discard. Remove lemon peel with a knife; set aside.
- Quarter lemons; squeeze juice into a bowl. Remove and discard white membrane. Place the peel and pulp in a blender; cover and process until coarsely chopped.
- Add peel mixture and sugar to lemon juice, mix well. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the milk. Strain lemon mixture; add club soda and food coloring. Serve immediately in sugar-rimmed glasses.