We used to do semesterly get togethers with my dear friend Justine and we always made yummy food to share. (mostly Justine, she invited us over a lot of the time!) One time Justine made us “Aussie Burgers”, she’s from Australia by the way. And they were seriously SO GOOD. What really made them unique was the lack of a hamburger bun. She served them on buttered toast instead! Other than that they’re similar to the loaded burgers you can find at Red Robin nowa days. They are still one of our favorite fall-backs!
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 8 slices of bread
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4-6 lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1 can beets
- 4 slices pineapple, canned or fresh
- 4 eggs
- 5-6 mushrooms sliced, optional
- Cook the hamburger patty however you like it. You can add chopped up onion, garlic powder, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper… Whatever you like. And cook it through.
- While the meat is cooking, fry up your eggs to desired hardness adding a dash of salt and pepper to each.
- If using mushrooms, melt 1 T. butter in a pan. Add mushrooms and saute until softened. Set aside.
- Toast the bread and spread some butter on top. You can put mustard, ketchup, mayo, bbq sauce, whatever you like on the bread as well.
- But the hamburger together and enjoy!