We had some left over roast beef and needed a good way to use it up. We decided on making a stew. The recipe I found looked FANTASTIC. But we don’t drink wine, had pre-cooked bacon, and already cooked beef… So I figured, it will just be faster right? Yes. It was faster, and after finding the right substitute for the wine OH. MY. GOSH. This soup was so good. We were wishing we had more. It was absolutely divine. I would guess the original is just as good if not better. If you want a good way to use that left over roast beef, this recipe is the one you need. YUM.
Hearty Beef Stew
- 3-4 slices thick sliced bacon
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil to Sautee
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs left over roast beef, shredded or chopped into chunks
- 1 cup Pomegranate Cranberry Juice
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 8 oz. mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2″ thick pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth or beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 lb fingerling potatoes, halved or quartered
- In a large, oven-proof pot, sauté bacon over medium heat until lightly browned and the fat is released. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a separate bowl.
- Chop up the potatoes, place in a microwave safe bowl and submerge in water. Place in microwave and cook approximately 5 minutes to soften the potatoes. Set aside.
- Add juice and vinegar to the pot and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom to deglaze the pot. Add sliced mushrooms and simmer over medium heat about 10 min. Add beef and bacon to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/high heat. Add olive oil, sliced carrots, diced onion and chopped garlic cloves, and saute 4 min. Add tomato paste and sautee another minute. Transfer veggies to the soup pot.
- Add beef broth, bay leaves, dried thyme, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir to combine and bring to a low boil.
- Add potatoes, making sure they are submerged in liquid then cover and transfer to a 325˚F oven for 45 min.
- Serve and enjoy!