We ate a lot of this while in Italy… like almost everyday, in fact twice one day.
While I can’t say the recipe is from Italy, it sure turned out smooth and creamy!
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Milk
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, mix milk and cream. Warm until foam forms around the edges. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until frothy. Gradually pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture gels slightly and coats the back of the spoon. If small egg lumps begin to show, remove from heat immediately.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve or fine strainer into a bowl. Cover, and chill for several hours or overnight.
- For the Chocolate sauce, pour the cocoa powder and sugar in a food processor, process until sugar is fine and they are combined. Add milk and vanilla, blend some more.
- Pour the base and the chocolate mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. *Transfer to a sealed container, and freeze until firm. If the gelato is too firm, place it in the refrigerator until it reaches the desired consistency.
*You can also add toasted almonds, chop, toast and cool, then add when the gelato is almost done freezing!
Modified from: allRecipes