We used to do semesterly get togethers with my dear friend Justine and we always made yummy food to share. (mostly Justine, she invited us over a lot of the time!) One time Justine made us “Aussie Burgers”, she’s from Australia by the way. And they were seriously SO GOOD. What really made them unique was the lack of a hamburger bun. She served them on buttered toast instead! Other than that they’re similar to the loaded burgers you can find at Red Robin nowa days. They are still one of our favorite fall-backs!
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 8 slices of bread
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4-6 lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1 can beets
- 4 slices pineapple, canned or fresh
- 4 eggs
- 5-6 mushrooms sliced, optional
- Cook the hamburger patty however you like it. You can add chopped up onion, garlic powder, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper… Whatever you like. And cook it through.
- While the meat is cooking, fry up your eggs to desired hardness adding a dash of salt and pepper to each.
- If using mushrooms, melt 1 T. butter in a pan. Add mushrooms and saute until softened. Set aside.
- Toast the bread and spread some butter on top. You can put mustard, ketchup, mayo, bbq sauce, whatever you like on the bread as well.
- But the hamburger together and enjoy!
I seriously LOVE breakfast sandwiches. I would eat one everyday if I could find a way to make them healthy yet still fantastically delicious. Which sometimes you can, but they do tend to take more time and effort to make. I’m sure there’s a very clever way to make them in advance and store them in freezer but ahhh… I’m not one of those people who actually plans that far ahead. Maybe someday I’ll give it a try! Let’s me honest though, an unhealthy little sandwich full of cheese and bacon or sausage and a crispy yet gooey fried egg on a fresh bagel… Yeah. Can’t beat that. Mmmm… Salivating. This morning however, I decided to mix things up a bit. After some online research I felt pretty confident in my ability to make a truly stellar breakfast sandwich that is at least a bit healthier and doesn’t take an especially long time to make. I have an 11 month old. I don’t have time to make and eat things that take more than 10 minutes to do both. I just don’t. And man. I moaned on my first bite and almost didn’t get a picture because I ate it so fast… Not because I HAD to, I WANTED to. It turned out THAT GOOD.
Veggie-full Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. cream
- dash olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- cheese of choice, I used Feta
- vegetables of choice, I used:
- 1 small mushroom, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. leek, sliced
- 1-2 tsp. spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 1 clove roasted garlic, optional
- 2-3 slices of tomato
- 2-4 slices of avocado
- hot sauce, to taste
- Whip the egg in a small microwave safe bowl. Add cream, oil or butter, and salt and pepper. Whip once again.
- Add in the cheese and vegetables, stir to combine. Place in microwave for 90 seconds.
- While preparing the egg, toast the bread. Spread butter and garlic clove on bread. Add tomato and avocado slices to bread. Top with egg and some hot sauce. Enjoy!