Often times I want a quick simple meal or side dish but I want it to taste better that just the pre-packaged or boxed goods you can buy. So Russ and I will often take a boxed or pre-packaged food and enhance it. So this is definitely not a fancy way to make cornbread by any means but it sure does taste good!
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
- 1 box cornbread mix (Our favorite is Jiff)
- 1 fresh jalapeño (or pickled if you prefer), sliced thinly*
- 3.4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping**
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners or coat with cooking spray and set aside.
- Prepare the box of cornbread according to the directions on the box. Add in cheese and jalapeño (if adding) and stir to combine.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins. Top with sliced jalapeño, using your fingertips to gently press the jalapeño into the batter. Sprinkle with cheese
- Follow the directions on the box of cornbread for baking time and cooling.
*for a spicier muffin chop up another jalapeño and add into the batter
**for a slightly different flavor you can do 1/2 c. parmesan cheese and 1.2 c. cheddar cheese
Seriously, being married to someone who not only cooks but is always making up new recipes, most of which are fantastically delicious is. the. best. I definitely married the right man! This garlic bread is just plain yummy. It was one of the first foods russell made for me and I’ll admit, i was a bit impressed 😄
Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf of french bread
- garlic powder, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
- basil, to taste
- seasoned salt, to taste
- ranch dressing, to taste
- mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice the french bread in half lengthwise. Open up the loaf.
- Spread each half with butter. Sprinkle the seasonings evenly across each half.
- Layer with ranch dressing and spread evenly across the top. Cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Pop in the oven and bake until golden brown on the edges.
This recipe is a bit luscious, but also a bit healthy because of the veggies that are in it. It’s a good one for the Summer time and all of the barbecues you get invited to. It’s especially good topped with chopped honey-roasted peanuts.
Hawks’ Cole Slaw
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded (or one bag of pre-cut cole slaw mix)
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally into 1/4″ slices
- 1 red pepper, slivered full length as thin as you can cut, then cut in half so they are 2” x 1/8th”
- 4 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/4″ slices
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro or Italian Parsley
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- Mix all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together then stir it into the salad ingredients right before serving.